With over 20 years' experience covering the complete spectrum of engineering applications, we are experts in vehicle development. It is therefore essential for us to keep an eye not only on the big picture, but also on the all-important details. From concept development to series launch support of individual parts and modules and the development of complete vehicles - we combine expert knowledge with the latest lightweight construction material technology trends. For you, this means an optimum implementation of your vehicle concepts, both technically and economically. From the module to the complete vehicle, with EDAG your engineering challenge is in good hands.
"Integral safety" is the coordinated interaction of active and passive safety requirements, and therefore compliance with the relevant safety requirements, including certification. For us, it means even more: our vehicle safety experts are already involved during the concept phase.more
A great advantage, as most of the modifications made to the vehicle's structure and interior components at this stage influence the deformation characteristics of the car in the event of a crash.
In turn, the front end package and design of its body in white and exterior parts influence the achievement of objectives in pedestrian protection and, to some extent, in passenger safety, too.
It is, for instance, possible to use sensor data from active safety systems such as distance control or braking assistants etc. to pre-condition systems for passive safety or to activate them earlier.
The added value to you: greater safety for your customers and smooth, uncomplicated approval and homologation procedures.
EDAG’s experience in simulation will support your total vehicle development in all the specialties needed to meet your customers’ requirements. For example, we are the only commercial supplier of CAE simulation under contract for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in developing new crash safety regulations and consumer testing.more
By validating products and product properties at an early stage, development periods are shortened, development costs reduced, and last but not least products improved. The key factors here are virtual simulation and testing within the framework of computer-aided engineering (CAE), because whatever can be simulated while the concept is still in its initial stages will not need to be constructed at a later date - a process which is both complex and expensive.
Our CAE experts support production development with the functional design of components, systems and complete vehicles. By applying virtual simulation and calculation, we are able to optimize the stresses of components, in this way reducing weight, to test various material concepts (e.g. steel, plastic, aluminum, GRP, CFRP) in intelligent networks with our test laboratories, and to carry out different load situations, including vehicle crashes. And if the existing software tools are unable to cover the desired application, we have a solution for that, too – our software team programs tools for customers' specific applications, to optimize in-house process times and generate new solutions.
We offer the following solutions and services to meet your needs:
- Rigidity, strength and misuse loads
- Vibration and acoustics
- Operational strength and fatigue resistance
- Vehicle dynamics
- Vehicle safety
- Structure design (crashworthiness)
- Passenger safety (design of restraint systems)
- Pedestrian protection
The point of aerodynamics is to make it possible for a vehicle to travel against the wind with as little air resistance as possible. This is enormously important, as experts see aerodynamic optimization - along with many other improvements relating to weight and engine efficiency - as an effective way of reducing fuel consumption.
Expert knowledge is required here, as it is important to analyze the effects on vehicle handling, but also, for instance, on pedestrian protection. The latter sometimes conflicts with vehicle superstructures, which are becoming flatter and more streamlined.
As a supplier of solutions, we have an Aerodynamics department to develop your vehicles so that they are less affected by aerodynamic forces. All while the various requirements of today's automobiles are still met inside and out.
In addition, we have also developed special knowledge and competencies in the aeroacoustics field for convertibles with soft tops and RHT roof systems, engine compartment air flow, thermal management, underbody dynamics, brake cooling and ways of improving vehicle dust and dirt management.
Acoustics, vibration and driving comfort
Acoustics and comfort play a decisive role in the driving experience in modern vehicles. Only if the car is as noise-free as possible and delivers maximum vibration and driving comfort, will the car make a lasting impression on the customer.more
We attach a great deal of importance to a pleasant driving experience, and are therefore working on the acoustic and vibration-related qualities of modern cars. Our aim is to consciously design the vehicle's sounds in line with vehicle character and the overall concept. Our aim meets the requirements of discerning automobile customers.
- Attributes of the complete vehicle, NVH, acoustics
- Sub-attributes vital to the vibration and driving comfort, including structural dynamics, lightweight construction, cabriolet development, powertrain NVH, sound engineering, chassis NVH and chassis comfort coordination, aeroacoustics, insulation/damping, interior acoustics, seat comfort and squeak and rattle prevention.
- Process chain from product definition, brand engineering, concept development, virtual functional design, engineering, testing and approval
- Analytical tools used in the concept and early design phases help prevent NVH issues from reaching prototypes or production vehicles where fixes will cost you much more in late changes and delays
- We employ tools such as MSC.NASTRAN, CDH.AMLS, nCode DesignLife, Abaqus*
* MSC.NASTRAN is proprietary software of MSC Software, CDH.AMLS is proprietary software of CDH AG, nCode DesignLife is proprietary software of HBM Testing and Measurement, Abaqus is proprietary software of Dassault Systems
Certification / Homologation
Importing a new vehicle is daunting at first. The certification process is one of the most important milestones in the process. With homologation, the important thing is to work in close cooperation with the authorities and testing and certification bodies.more
- The US regulations certification process is different than ECE based processes
- Safety related items are self-certified by the OEM, a different concept with much more burden on the OEM than the testing resource, and recalls/litigation is a much more serious financial risk to the OEM
- Emissions and Fuel Economy are certified by the EPA and California ARB agencies which require more proof than just passing testing, and the process requires experts at understanding the agencies’ systems
- The safety consumers metrics (IIHS and US NCAP) are very important in marketing
US certification is a “Self Certification” process, we can help set up the understanding of the procedures and documentation that a company needs to maintain.
We develop a certification plan tailored to your specific product and provide understanding of the regulations for your company.
When you ask the question “where do I get my vehicle tested,” we work with industry respected sources for test facilities and provide you a test plan.
Vehicles bound worldwide also need homologation support and contacts. We help you prepare for the process and also use our industry respected sources to get you approved.
When it comes to vehicle safety, it is no longer enough to concentrate on the passengers alone. In order to guarantee the safety of both the driver and other road users, it is necessary to keep an eye on everything that is going on around the vehicle. This means that, for us, pedestrian protection is a key element of vehicle development.more
Our expert knowledge, which begins with project management and simulation, covers all areas through to testing on our fully equipped test stands.
We offer the following solutions and services to meet your needs:
- Support with the certification process
- Development of active systems (hood airbag)
- Sensor layout
- Component localization
- Test management and test coordination in our fully equipped test laboratories
- Test field definition in software (ANSA, Generator, CAVA) and hardware
- Simulation and validation (Radioss, PAM-Crash, LS-Dyna, Abaqus)*
*Radioss is proprietary software of Altair Engineering, PAM-Crash is proprietary software of ESI Group, LS-Dyna is proprietary software of LSTC, Abaqus is proprietary software of Dassault Systems
- Deformation analysis and worst case point definition